[TR] Advice sought please!

Jeff Scarbrough fishplate at charter.net
Sun Dec 9 18:35:34 MST 2007

At 08:16 PM 12/9/2007, Paul Dorsey wrote:
>Because brake fluif is very corrosive, I expect that I
>might just see the results of this in my lines, etc.

???

Brake fluid is not corrosive.  If it was, it wouldn't make a very
good brake fluid...  What it is, is hygroscopic, meaning it tends to
absorb water.  So there may be some effect of condensation
showing.  I would not expect permanent damage, unless there is
substantial white flaky junk showing inside the lines, in which case
you have another problem besides fluif - maybe you stored the car
under water?  Water shouldn't have been much of a problem where you are...

I'd consider just flusing it with fresh Castrol LMA - you can get it
at Pep Boys, if not other places.  I just can't imagine the entire
brake system going to rot in a year - plenty of these cars sit longer
that that, and survive...

Jeff Scarbrough                     USDA, ARS, JPCNRCC
1420 Experiment Station Road    Watkinsville GA 30677
706.769.5631  ext. 229                 fax: 706.769.8962