[TR] Advice sought please!

Paul Dorsey dorpaul at negia.net
Sun Dec 9 18:16:09 MST 2007

Being somewhat near the end of a rebuild, I am jumping around the car ordering
and working on different stuff.  Please bear with me...

Hopefully, I've started the last redo of my TR3's braking system.  By now, the
rubber parts on my new Brake & Clutch master cylinders has started to dry rot!
Last time I worked on the brakes, I bled the system (I thought) but still
found half a dozen brake fluif leaks.  Since that was the outcome at that
time, it's proably safe to say that the system has been exposed to at least
some air ever since.  Because brake fluif is very corrosive, I expect that I
might just see the results of this in my lines, etc.
    In fact, when I undid several fittings from the calipers, I was thinking
that I just might have wrapped them with Teflon tape as they were that white!
(I seriously doubt that that suggestion was ever made by the list) so I bet
that white stuff was a year's worth of corrosion around the fittings.
However, I'd still love to be corrected.
    However, since it's only been a year, I'm thinking that this
corrosion/white powder has not really taken up residence that much inside the
non-stainless-steel lines (since they were new at that time).  My plan is to
take all connections apart and blow the line with compressed air to rid them
of this white powder.  I labored hard to fit those pistons inside the
calipers, and I proably won't have to take those apart either, but who knows
once I 'get into it'..
    I'll go ahead and confess right now, there is one particular (inside) bolt
on one caliper that I had to remove in order to get the wheel to turn hard in
that direction.  What I am saying is that the left caliper's bottom's inside
bolt head came into contact with the spring pan's mounting bolt when turned
very hard to the left.  Mind you, the car was not driveable, and in reality,
I'll make sure nothing comes close to intefering with the final result.
    One possibilty is to fasten this one spring pan bolt with something
headless, like a carriage bolt.  Has anyone had this
problem??????????????????????????????????????????????????????  Perhaps this
'sharp' a turn is never really encountered with the tires mounted, or is that
false?

Are there any other suggestions about my methodology (for instance, 'it's not
overly dangerous to blow compressed air into the front brake lines since the
calipers are mounted over their rotors' is it?) I've never rebuilt a car
before.  Never hung around knowledgeable friends before...just learned it from
books and this online list!!!!!!!!!!!!

I  HOLD NO ONE ELSE ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR HELP, I UNDERSTAND THAT I AM
RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS REBUILD!!!!!!

thanks,
Paul Dorsey
'60 TR3