[TR] Leather straps for TR6 luggage rack

John Macartney standardtriumph at btinternet.com
Wed Dec 5 14:45:10 MST 2007

Glenn Merrell wrote:
> Beg Pardon Sir.  We are talking Triumph motor cars here ... You must be on the wrong list - this
> list subscribes strictly to the principals established by the Charles Macartney Award rules for
> Triumph use.  =-O
> Bentley, Rolls and Jag-you-are lists cost money to subscribe, through engraved invitation and
> special introduction, are only frequented by the man servant of the establishment responsible for
> the motor carriage.  :-$

Oh, Mr. Merrell, one does despair! You clearly don't understand 'Britishness.' You see, regardless
of an individual's financial position (in this case what car he or she may drive) traditions and
standards must always be observed and preserved.

Example: If one doesn't live in the lap of luxury - but still owns the family silver, one doesn't
prat about. One *uses* the family silver, misty-eyed and inclines to talk of better days, now past -
whenever possible. If one has blue blood (I don't) one has to continue as did one's forebears. Him
of award-fame mentioned above, adhered strictly to that rule - and many others, while still driving
a Standard Vanguard! He too, took on the role of Butler himself (as do I) and rolled his own straps
after every use. I still have them, use them and once finished with, they are saddle-soaped, waxed
and then put away till the next time. They're over seventy years old and as good as ever :)

The key, Mr. Merrell, is always understatement...

Sincerely, Sir

JM