[TR] Fan Extension and Steering Rack Proximity

Jay Welch jay_welch at juno.com
Wed Aug 29 13:05:45 MDT 2007

I just went through this with my TR6.

I removed the air cleaner assembly for some maintenance and didn't bother to
put it back on right away.  A couple of days later, I was trying to put them
on but no go....the motor mounts are sagging so badly that it won't go on.
The air cleaner was holding the engine up :-).

I've been busy and didn't get to fixing it right away but did drive it a it a
couple of times locally.  As I pulled into the into the driveway I hear this
deep rapping noise.  It sounded like internals.  Plenty of oil and oil
pressure...still "rapping".  But now I can feel it in the steering column too.
The engine had dropped more and the slight wobble of the fan extension was
rubbing on the steering rack and sounding like a rhythmic lower end knock.

I changed them over the weekend and there is now approximately 3/4" to 1"
clearance between the fan extension and the steering rack.  The right side was
completely detached from the metal mount and slid all the way down.

Jay in MA
Member CCBCC