[TR] Timing chainwheels TR3A

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Aug 29 09:51:30 MDT 2007

> My crank chainwheel stands .0045" proud of the cam chainwheel
> when aligned with a straightedge. (new parts) This does not
> include the use of any  crank shims.  Is it OK to lap the
> rear surface of the chainwheel or is this  w/in tolerance?
> The cam chainwheel runs out .002 - .003" but the original ran
> out .015" so  I am guessing that I am OK.

How much endplay is there on the cam & crank ?  Are you checking alignment
with them both pushed all the way back ? Is the front cam bearing new ? Are
you sure the crank chainwheel is seated firmly against it's shoulder ?

.0045" probably isn't enough misalignment to worry about, but it seems odd
to me, and it certainly wouldn't hurt to remove it.  Just be sure it's
really there, first.

Randall