[TR] Triumphs Digest, Vol 1, Issue 147

N197TR4 at cs.com N197TR4 at cs.com
Wed Aug 29 06:31:22 MDT 2007

> I've done the alternator conversion with the Delco 7127 GM alternator,
> which is common for this conversion.  All is well with the electricals.
> However, vibrations from the engine/alternator have just cracked my second
> upper bracket, the one that attaches to the water pump.  I've used the
> generator bracket, then a Toyota Tercel bracket, using shims at the
> waterpump to line up the pulleys.  (The bottom of the bracket is tightly
> cinched down to the engine plate.)
> Has anyone designed a better bracket for this?
> Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
> New Hampshire

Terry, I have the stock upper bracket in place now for about 10 years.
(Vintage Race TR4)

But, I have an additional support bracket that comes off the front of the
alternator and attaches to one of the timing cover capscrews. If nothing else it
dampens the vibrations....sounds like it was the right thing to do. But your
failures seem extraordinary.  Joe

   </HTML>