[TR] TR3A Alternator Conversion -- Brackets Cracking

Kentech HomeTech kentech0822 at verizon.net
Wed Aug 29 06:28:58 MDT 2007

Terry,

I have the same problem on my 3A. First time the bolt sheared in the water
pump housing, the upper link (adjustment bracket) cracked around the
mounting hole. It seemed to pick up a nasty vibration a specific rpms that I
observed while I watched it while I rev'ed the engine.

At first I had the bottom mount fixed using two 3/8" bolts, a grade 5
coupler in between, and jamb nuts; this would hold bottom mount solid but
allow free swing of the alternator at the bottom. That's when the bolt
sheared. Next I replaced this with a 7" 3/8" bolt like so many others have
done with success. That's when the upper link broke. This one also required
r & r of the generator bracket on the block to fit the long bolt.

Now I am using a long stud threaded on both ends with nylocs (really no
different from the long bolt but easier to r&r) AND a piece of tubing
between the ears of the generator bracket so I can cinch the bottom mount
TIGHT so the alternator will not even pivot without loosening the nuts. This
SOLID MOUNT seems to have cleared up the problem. Also make sure that the
top link is perfectly inline and adjust with spacers and/or washers to get
it right. Now I see only very little vibration when I rev the engine, almost
nil. Still a little gun shy about long trips but time will tell.

Hope this works for you too, PeterK