[TR] Fan Extension and Steering Rack Proximity - A

CarlSereda at aol.com CarlSereda at aol.com
Tue Aug 28 13:01:08 MDT 2007

The TR4-A's square 'fail-safe' motor mounts are definitely shorter than the
round TR4 style - and that's probably the reason why you have no fan belt space
on your 4A.
I would add big flat washers to new TR4-A mounts, or switch to the taller
round TR4 motor mounts to get the 1/2" space needed for changing belts.. (or jack
up your motor a little to change belts - not easy to do on the side of the
road)
It is important to know too that the TR4-A 'cone style' rear hood supports
allow deeper travel than the TR4 style 'flat rubber' supports when
'drop-closing' your hood, ie;  TR4-A owners risk smacking their hood on the thermostat
housing - for an ugly dimple - not a problem on TR4s. To remedy this hood dimpling
problem the factory glued a pad to the underside of the hood right above the
thermostat housing on TR4-As.
Regards,
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74

> I recently got the fan extension added to the engine.
> It rotates without any grinding sounds, but the paint is
> uncomfortably rubbing off on the steering rack.
>
> How much space should be between these two surfaces?

Should be enough to pass a fan belt through there.

<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at
http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour</HTML>