[TR] [6pack] TRF Brake Discs

Robert Lang lang at isis.mit.edu
Mon Aug 27 08:50:37 MDT 2007

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007, Bob Danielson wrote:

> TRF has their EBC HIGH-TECH BRAKE DISCS on sale this week
> (http://tinyurl.com/36zb3d) and I'm wondering what ya'all's experience is
> with them beyond the "looks cool" factor. Do they make a difference in
> braking in normal driving or are they mostly for the racer in us?

IMHO, these items are more about the "gee whiz" factor. As I've posted
before, put real tires on your car and you'll get a lot more bang for your
buck.

As a point of information, some parts like this effect your classing in
race orgs, so read your rule sif you do race.

> Also the
> description says "finished in gold cadmium plating to protect them till you
> put them on your car". Does that mean the gold plating will wear off as you
> use them and what do they look like after that?

The plating will wear off the contact area where the brake disk touches.
But the plating should protect the surfaces on the rotor that do not touch
the pads.

> Does anybody have another
> recommendation in the $190 range that TRF is offering?

Nope.

> Thanks....starting to collect parts for the brake rebuild project in
> Nov/Dec.

It's always good to do some planning!

> Bob Danielson
> 1975 TR6 CF38503U