[TR] Trailing Arm Question

Lanoway, Brian Brian_Lanoway at standardaero.com
Thu Aug 23 11:36:04 MDT 2007

Tom,
A while back, Darrell Walker from the list suggested that I use the 'E-Z-Lok'
solid threaded insert for exactly the same problem.  I used the original stud
and a course thread for the insert because of the aluminum.
Here's a link for the E-Z-Lok product:
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=593

I was able to find the product and installation tool at a local fastener
supplier.

I also removed the trailing arm from the car and took it to a machine shop to
have the new holes for the insert drilled and tapped.  I imagine that you
could do this with a hand drill, but the results will probably be hit and
miss.

Please fix this before you drive the car again!!  These small studs are all
the prevents your wheel from coming off in a corner.  You need all of them
properly mounted to avoid this.

Cheers,
Brian Lanoway
1973 TR6
Winnipeg

On Aug 22nd,  Tom Wagner wrote:
On my 72 TR 6, the trailing arm assembly has 6 studs coming out the
side of it where the axle attaches.  Out of the 6 studs, I have 3 of
them that are stripped, as it appears to be a cast aluminum, or  very
soft metal.

Does anyone have any ideas about either how to re-tap them or some
other method to hold the axle in place???