[TR] to use gasket sealer or not

acekraut11 at aol.com acekraut11 at aol.com
Wed Aug 22 16:52:19 MDT 2007

Sujit,

When I bought my car I had a significant leak in the gearbox, where the tail housing mates to the main case.? I didnt want to have to take the entire gearbox out just to replace this seal so I decided to try a product called "The Right Stuff".? It is a gasket sealer and I loosened the tail housing up and I could get it to slide backwards about a quarter to half an inch, just enough so I could get a bead of sealant in.? I tightened everything back up and I had no leaks.? I did not use a gasket and although I cleaned the surfaces as best I could considering my access to the gearbox when it was still in the car I am sure I didnt do the best job possible.

Later on I added an OD to the gearbox.? When the gearbox was taken apart the "Right Stuff" had done a great job sealing everywhere it was applied.? When I added the OD I used the same product everywhere two surfaces mated.? Soon I will be installing the gearbox but the bench test of the OD added gearbox did not have any leaks.

Aaron

Aaron Cropley
71 TR6 (Throttle Body Injection!)
http://www.triumphowners.com/108