[TR] to use gasket sealer or not

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Aug 22 15:36:22 MDT 2007

> What's the general consensus of the list with regard to using
> or not using
> gasket sealer/goo?  I didn't apply any goo to my diff casing
> when I replaced
> the gasket, but it leaked and still does.

I generally use Hylomar on gaskets, unless it's a high temperature
application like an exhaust manifold.  Seals very well, is easy to apply,
and easy to clean up when the joint has to be disturbed the next time.
Frequently it even leaves the gasket in reusable condition.

Unless you don't have a gasket, I would suggest staying away from the
various gasket replacement products, especially silicone RTV, for places
like gearboxes and engines.  It's very easy to have some RTV squeeze out
inside, where it may later break off into long strings and block something.
Other products, like Permatex #3, don't have that problem, but are still a
royal PITA to clean up the next time the joint must be disturbed.

Randall

CONFIDENTIALITY. This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it may contain information proprietary to NavCom Technology, Inc., or one of its affiliates, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed, shall be maintained in confidence and not disclosed to third parties without the written consent of the sender. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the electronic mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this electronic mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return mail.