[TR] Aluminum Oil Pan

wbeech wbeech at flash.net
Mon Aug 20 08:05:10 MDT 2007

A more correct name for it would be a "Bash Plate" or "Skid Plate" as it's
job is to protect the pan from physical damage from things in the road.  I
too have that extra large alloy pan, the super tanker allows for 8 quarts of
oil in the system for extra cooling, no bash plate and I have not noticed
any scars to indicate I should get one.

If you are planning to run the Baja Rally next year I would highly recommend
that you get one, for normal driving on city streets you are probably pretty
safe without it.

"Splash Plates" are usually located closer to the front of the engine, under
the fan, to protect from excessive water being splashed onto the engine when
you are driving in heavy rain (in a TR3?...right) or through deep water.
It's not a metal plate as much as it is a piece of heavy plastic to provide
this protection, again, I have never seen one for a TR3.

Bill B
'58 TR-3A TS/30766 L (rolling restoration)
"A bad day in your TR just gives you license to go shopping on-line again!"