[TR] how to remove wax from windscreen gasket?

tr3driver at ca.rr.com tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Aug 19 14:51:47 MDT 2007

> > That is usually mold release compound, did you try water and some bubbles?
>
> No, it really is wax.  I've rolled up a ball of it so far.

Many mold release agents are wax-based, so you are probably both right, IMO.

I've not had the problem myself, but I see that MMC has a mold cleaner that specifically removes release agents; or something like Arcyli-Clean would probably work well.

A strong, alkaline detergent (like genuine TSP) and water would remove the wax, but might also damage the nearby paint if the gasket is already installed.

Come to think of it, the mold cleaner might not be safe for paint, either.  Try it out on an inconspicuous place first.  But Arcyli-Clean is not supposed to harm healthy paint (tho it does tend to take off any oxidized paint on the surface).

Randall