[TR] TR6 Wiring Question

tr3driver at ca.rr.com tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Aug 19 01:20:58 MDT 2007

> I assume it is meant to be this way, but I can't see any way for the
> oil pressure lamp to get a full 12V, and I see no indication that a
> 6V lamp should be installed in place of the normal lamps.
>
> What were they thinking when they designed it this way?  Is there
> something that I'm missing?

I believe that the original design was that the brake warning lamp was a higher wattage than the oil warning lamp.  Incandescent lights do not have a constant resistance, the resistance is much lower when they are cold than once they are lit.  So, the lower wattage bulb lights first, and as a result gets the vast majority of the voltage.  The higher wattage bulb won't light at all.

If you are seeing an even 6/6 split, try putting either a higher power bulb in the brake warning, or a lower power one in the oil pressure.

Randall