[TR] solenoid & ballast resistor

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Aug 17 13:14:23 MDT 2007

>  I'm thinking of running a wire from the lower heavy terminal on the
> solenoid (the one energized when the solenoid pulls in) to
> the coil positive
> terminal so that the coil can get the full 12V during starting.
> Anyone see any flawed thinking or pitfalls in this approach?

I agree, won't work.

I disconnected that circuit on my Stag; couldn't tell it made any difference
at all.  Especially with the XR700, you shouldn't have any trouble getting
it started (and all that wire does is help out the ignition a bit when
starting).

If you really want to keep the function, then add a relay with the coil
connected from the white/red to ground (so energized when the starter is
energized), and the contacts wired across the ballast resistor.

The 75 TR6 didn't use the second small terminal on the starter solenoid;
which might explain how yours is missing.  It also used a relay to short out
the ballast (except it was a special relay with a second contact to operate
the starter solenoid as well).

Randall

CONFIDENTIALITY. This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it may contain information proprietary to NavCom Technology, Inc., or one of its affiliates, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed, shall be maintained in confidence and not disclosed to third parties without the written consent of the sender. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the electronic mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this electronic mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return mail.