[TR] solenoid & ballast resistor

Tom Note tom628 at verizon.net
Thu Aug 16 20:54:23 MDT 2007

While troubleshooting a starter problem I found that  the solenoid for my
'76 TR6 does not have a terminal for a W/Y wire to supply 12V to the coil
during starting, bypassing the ballast resistor, as shown in Dan Masters'
schematic for the '76.
I have a Crane XR700 system, with the Crane coil and Crane ballast resistor.
No original k/w ballast wire to the coil.
 I'm thinking of running a wire from the lower heavy terminal on the
solenoid (the one energized when the solenoid pulls in) to the coil positive
terminal so that the coil can get the full 12V during starting.
Anyone see any flawed thinking or pitfalls in this approach?
BTW, Dan's info is so much more detailed and informative and model-specific
than the Haynes manual , as I'm sure almost everyone knows.

Thanks,
Tom