[TR] Lucas - BEER?

Glenn A. Merrell StagByTriumph at tscusa.org
Fri Aug 17 11:18:42 MDT 2007

Ian wrote:
> When I first started drinking in the UK, Watney's Red was the "beer" of
> choice to us kids, which as any older Brit listers will tell you was just as
> bad as some of the watery beers around now.
>
> Yuengling is my local beer as the brewery is in our region and I always have
> a case of it in the house.  In our town there is the Victory Brewing Company
> supplying, amongst others:
> HopDevil at 6.7%
> Golden Monkey at 9.5%
> Old Horizontal at 10.5%
>
> None of those are close to water and have some real taste to them.  Other
> listers will have their own fine local brews.  Many people don't like strong
> flavor in their beer and that's OK; there are many "designer" beers with
> flavors that don't work for me.
>
> I know that there will be replies that such and such a beer beat a European
> beer at a festival, but the original joke, that is told around the world (I
> certainly didn't make it up) is really a comment about the bland McDonalds
> style crap that we are brainwashed into believing is good by the big
> corporations.
>

> --
> Ian
> 62 TR4

Oh, you have Victory Brewing in your home town!!  Cool!

But WAIT!!!  You drink microbrew,  then you have the nerve to classify
swill like Bud as an "American beer"!?!  Shame shame SHAME!!

When you compare the hand crafted beers in North America, they also have
equivalent ABV (anywhere from 5% to 15%) to the nice local hand crafted
brews anywhere in the world.  When I was in Belgium, I tried the red cap
stuff that was 18%.  Far too alcohol astringent for my taste, and in a
little pony bottle, you could only drink two of them.

I have been a craft brewer for over 20 years.  I drink high quality hand
crafted beers for one reason, the taste!  And I also like the quality
hand crafted beers of the Triumph Brewing Company in New Hope
Pennsylvania.  I really appreciate the uniqueness and full bodied taste
of many of the hand crafted American Stouts. And I appreciate the
different tastes each batch produces.   But as my unscientific taste
test proved, Guinness is now to a standard where it also tastes the same
just about anywhere in the world.  Fortunately, it still has actual flavor.

Here in Colorado, we host the Great American Beer Festival, venue to:

411 Breweries represented on the festival floor
(27 more than last year)

1903 Beers on the Festival floor
(Yikes! 250+ more than last year)

470 Breweries in the competition
(20 more than last year)

2815 Beers entered into the competition
(405 more than last year)

Who really cares about Miller or Budweiser.  When I am offered one of
those mass produced beers, I "just say no" thanks - unless of course the
only  alternative IS water!  Then most of the time I'll take the water.

--
Glenn A. Merrell
Chairman, Triumph Stag Club USA (2007-2009)