[TR] TR 4 White smoke out the tail pipe - Follow up /Update

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Aug 16 12:26:32 MDT 2007

> It also has what looks like metal solder on the top of the
> piston. You can see
> it here,
> http://webpages.charter.net/boggiano/photo.htm
>
> Any idea what it could be? Part of the head gasket? It is
> stuck on the piston
> and does not seem like it will go anywhere easily.

I'm going to guess that it's FOD of some sort that got sucked into #3.
Looks to me like it bounced around for awhile getting pinched between the
piston & head (hence what look to my eye like dents between 12:00 and 3:00
in the photo) before finally getting embedded into the piston.

Personally, I would want to have that piston out for examination.  If there
is no other damage and you can successfully get those chunks pried off the
top, it might be reusable (depending on how willing you are to take a chance
on it).  If it was a TR3, I'd suggest just dropping the pan and pulling the
piston with the engine still in the car; but it's less work to pull a TR4
engine, so ...

Randall
(Tedious but unavoidable disclaimer follows)

CONFIDENTIALITY. This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it may contain information proprietary to NavCom Technology, Inc., or one of its affiliates, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed, shall be maintained in confidence and not disclosed to third parties without the written consent of the sender. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the electronic mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this electronic mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return mail.