[TR] A question regarding 12 poitn and 6 point sockets

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Mon Aug 13 12:34:03 MDT 2007

In a message dated 8/13/2007 12:49:44 PM Central Daylight Time,
triumphstag at gmail.com writes:
> All my sockets at home are of the 12 point type.  I've seen 8 point and
> more
> commonly 6 point. Are there advantages using 6 and 8 point?

Most nuts are six sided.  Hence they are called "hex" nuts.  Some nuts are
four sided.  These are called "square" nuts.  Square nuts are almost unknown in
automobiles for the past 50 - 60 years but early on they were quite common.

A twelve point wrench will fit both a hex nut and a square equally poorly.
The six point wrench is better for the hex nut but won't fit a square nut.  An
eight point wrench works better on square nuts than a twelve point style but
won't fit a hex nut.

Another advantage to the twelve point wrench is that if you are in confined
spaces you can reposition the wrench "half" a flat.  This is a moot point with
a ratchet style wrench.

Like Phil says, if given a choice, use a six point wrench.

Dave