[TR] can you tell a rotor?

tr3driver at ca.rr.com tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Aug 4 21:15:07 MDT 2007

---- emanteno at comcast.net wrote:
> I've heard some of them crack and arc, leading to misfires or no starting/running.

I wonder though, how many times those incidents include other upgrades to the ignition system, like Lucas Sports coils.  The rotor has to withstand any increase in voltage, and the path from the contact arm to the distributor post isn't very long at all.

Caravanning home from VTR 2000, a local club member had a new rotor (installed @ VTR) fail on his TR4A.  Failure itself was invisible, a carbon track through the interior of the rotor, grounding the spark to the dizzy shaft.  He had a Lucas Sports coil, and, as it turned out, a bad spark plug connector that evidently allowed the coil to develop more voltage.

Randall