[TR] Flexible Electric Wire?

tr3driver at ca.rr.com tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Aug 3 19:33:00 MDT 2007

> I used a regular crimp wire connector for the attachment, but it seems vibration
> of the engine and the alternator have broken two of these.

Sounds to me like you may have the wire too short, so it's pulling on the connector when the engine mounts flex or something.  Try adding a little slack, and tie-wrapping the wire to something (starter cable, maybe) to act as a strain relief.

I don't like to rely on crimps to make electrical connections anyway; even made with professional crimp tools, they rarely form good, gas-tight connections.  Generally, what I do is :
1) Strip off the insulation from the terminal (if I can't buy uninsulated terminals to begin with);
2) Crimp the terminal on the wire as usual (using big, heavy crimpers, not those sheet-metal things in the kit), then
3) Solder the wire to the terminal where it protrudes through the crimp.
4) Use heat shrink tubing over the wire and the crimp/solder area, to insulate and strengthen the area (as well as help protect it from the elements).

This method takes a little extra time, but works very well for me.

I've not had any trouble with the 8 AWG on my TR3A.

Randall