[TR] TR Fan Pitch

Steven Newell steven at newellboys.com
Thu Aug 2 22:15:27 MDT 2007

wbeech wrote:
> Has anyone tried to bend the fins on their fan to increase the pitch and
> therefore move more air across the radiator?  Just eyeballing it I would say
> the TR3 fan is pitched at about 10-15 degrees, but looking at pictures of
> those yellow fans at TRF they look to be about 30 degrees and they have
> six(6) blades.
I don't know exactly what the TR3 fan looks like, but I have an early
TR4 CT5018LO with the four flat aluminum blades. Not much pitch at all.
A couple years ago my fan threw a blade -- probably just 40 years and
100K of metal fatigue -- which luckily went down instead of up. That
gave me the reason to install the yellow fan I had hanging on the wall.
They have 8 blades, and plenty of air-moving pitch. I made one or two
changes at the same time, but I think the fan is the main reason my car
now runs so cool.

I wouldn't recommend bending a 50 year old fan from your TR3, since
it'll increase the chance the metal might fail. If you really need
better air movement, look at a yellow fan or an electric pusher fan.
Best luck.

Steven Newell
Littleton, CO USA
'62 TR4 x 2