[TR] TR3 wheel options: stop me before I do something crazy

pethier at comcast.net pethier at comcast.net
Wed Aug 1 12:47:57 MDT 2007

From: richard triplett <rtriplett25 at yahoo.com>
> I am going crazy trying to drive on my old out-of-tune
> 48 spoke wires on TS75434. Floppy and noisy! I am
> thinking of trying minilites or something of the like

Decide if you like the wire-wheel look. If you do, replace the 48s with a set of painted 60s from Dayton.  I bought mine on sale at TRF.  The Dayton engineer assures me that the painted wheels are stronger and more rigid than the chrome.

If you want to go alloy (and I would have if my wife was not stuck on wires!), the KN Minator made in England is fairly inexpensive.  And you don' t need to fool with adaptors.

> and found an auction on Ebay that offers adapters that
> change bolt pattern from TR3 to something more
> universal. For instance, BMW Mini wheels fit the
> adapter.
>
> I then looked at tire rack and found these wheels for
> $99 ea:
>
> http://www.latoth.org/images/tr3wheel.jpg

Not the best wheel to balance.  No outside rim for weights.  My daughter has a set of these on her Suzuki Esteem.

> Change center logo to Triumph and WALAH! Might just
> have a cool wheelset. $240 for the adapters + $396 for
> the wheels = cheaper than minilites.
>
> Thoughts? Can I find adapters for cheaper than $240?

I think adaptors are second-choice.  I'd rather have a wheel bolted directly to the hub.

--
Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul Minnesota  USA
1962 Triumph TR4 CT2846L, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1993 Suburban,