[Tigers] Limited slip differential

Jim B jbsyv at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 22 23:35:42 MDT 2023

Derrick,
I went on this same  journey several years ago. There may be some original clutch type diffs out there as there are some rebuilders but, I couldn’t find one. I looked very hard to find one that had the original spline count. Auburn Gear had one but, after two sets that didn’t fit properly I went with the Eaton Detroit TrueTrack. I had to change axles to 28 spline and the pinion as well. The issue that I had was that the Eaton diff is open in the center and required me to fabricate a thrust block. I am really happy with it and I have the Eaton in another vehicle with a Ford 9” which I am also happy with. It works like a charm with no noise and no issues with 'locking up'. It locks up on hard throttle and firmly plants Both rear wheels. Ther are other options. Just check out the Jeep websites. It’s a Dana 44. Don’t let the ’Salisbury’ designation get in your way. At any rate you will at least, IMO, require an axle upgrade. I’d be happy to discuss if you’d like.
Best of luck!
JIm B