[Tigers] burly men with BFH

Ron Fraser rfraser at bluefrog.com
Sun May 15 13:28:24 MDT 2022

Ah yes, the Bury Men with the big hammers will never die because it was written in a book so it must be true.

I do believe that some of the early Tigers did have some hammering done to the sheet metal.   I also believe that the craftsmen who were shaping the metal would use body working tools that would limit any hammer marks.

I’m sure it took Rootes engineering time to develop the correct metal parts to cover the Ford bellhousing and transmission.

It is possible that Jensen had to message the metal some to install it on the production line but my guess is that Rootes and Jensen required bare minimum extra work.   Extra work means extra time and expense.

A Burly man with a big hammer does not make any sense for mass production, it is a wives tale that will never die because it was written in a book.   It would take a team of Burly men to meet production and a team of Burly men costs money.

As for the Shelby Prototype, quick and fast install required some hammer time.

Ron Fraser