[Tigers] Distributor -> Oil Pump Shaft

R Flynn flynnr2 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 13:32:29 MDT 2020

Another seemingly final update ... as a reminder
- Changed intake manifold (Edelbrock Performer, #2121)
- While doing so, discovered oil pump drive shaft was lacking the usual
retaining clip with the predictable result
- Dropped oil pan & sorted that out with a beefed up version (ARP 154-7904)
and 1 piece Fel-Pro oil pan gasket (OS 13260 T)
- Buttoned it all back up & tried firing it up

At this point it was clear that something was amiss with the electrics,
consulted this group for advice ...
- Solenoid activated but starter motor didn't engage
- Checked grounds, all clean, 2 grounding straps discovered
  (1 in the usual place, 1 between LH engine bay support & boss just below
cylinder head)
- Tested solenoid, fine
- That left the original starter motor which once removed was confirmed to
be non-functioning
- Replaced with Summit Racing Protorque (SUM-820055) mini starter
w/integrated solenoid
    - Goes in & out without needing to move or loosen headers, engine
mounts etc.
      (hopefully I'll never have to mess with it again, but if I do big
improvement)
    - Easy access to connections when installed
    - Existing solenoid effectively gets used as a junction block (minimal
rewiring)
    - Finally got a look at the block's casting code (C5AE-6015E)
      (engine isn't original to the car, always wondered ...)
- Fired it up and after a few backfires, got the timing sorted

Of course this is when the heater valve decided to start leaking
aggressively ... classic stuff, replacement will be ordered shortly,
installed, and then I will revisit the timing *just to be sure*.

Cheers to all who have replied on the list & directly - you have all been
most helpful!