[Tigers] dual circuit master cylinder options?

Tom Witt atwittsend at verizon.net
Tue Apr 16 11:08:53 MDT 2019

I adapted a Datsun 710 3/4” master cylinder. It was originally attached directly to a booster and obviously in the Tiger it is not. I poked around and found an adjustable push rod and rod capture piece from a Volvo 122. The round capture piece was larger than the 3/4” bore but I was able to grind its circumference down until it fit. Also of note was that the Volvo rod end was more of a half round ball where as the plunger socket in the master cylinder more of a taper. Likely not an issue as the ball just stops at the appropriate depth of the taper. It all fit well, and there was a subtle looseness so I know the plunger was at the appropriate resting point.  I’d like to tell you how well it has worked but 19 years (and counting) on jack stands offers no proof of results.

I believe this question has been asked before and someone directed the party to a generic adjustable rod at one of the on line speed equipment vendors.  Likely they will be easier than finding a Volvo 122 push rod and modifying it. I say this assuming that the 280Z master cylinder is similar to the 710.