[Tigers] Radiator catch can

Ronak, T. (Timothy) Timothy.Ronak at akzonobel.com
Fri Apr 5 19:00:16 MDT 2019

Cooling cars does require adding a couple of ‘modern’ improvements ...
1 A catch can that is open to the environment but has an airtight piece of tubing (sealed at the catch can nipple and always submerged in the extra reservoir) This permits coolant to expand and be stored/contained and then when the car cools it will suck back into the cooling system. This is how a modern overflow works.
2 The radiator needs to be sealed around the perimeter in the opening it sits in and even a lower “air dam” that prevent air recirculating under the radiator and back around through the front.
3 Ensure ALL AIR IS EXTRACTED from the cooling system and really the only way to do this is to use a vacuum generating device like an “Air Lift” device that physically removes all of the air pockets in the system ... I would do this first through the radiator cap opening and then after sealing the system back up do it through the expansion tank overflow nipple as the car warms.

My 2 cents

Stay Smiling ...
Tim Ronak
Senior Services Consultant
AkzoNobel Automotive and Aerospace Coatings

 “If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present. But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future. The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.” - Master Po - TV's Kung Fu

Sent from my iPhone