[Tigers] The Big Bad Switch

Jerry Mo Christopherson JCMC2006 at suddenlink.net
Wed May 2 17:16:48 MDT 2018

Well, I got the shock of my life!  Being the curious sole I am, I decided to
take apart the "BIG Battery Switch" that I had in my trunk as a safety cut
off from my battery.  It's been in my Tiger for about 12-15 years without
any problems, I remember once that I had to "exercise it" to get it working
again, but other than that no problems.  A few days ago I tried to start the
engine and all I heard was a "click" then nothing, noting that the fuel pump
wasn't working I figured that it might be that "BIG" switch so after many
"exercises" there was still no voltage past the switch.  After removing the
switch behind the right fuel tank (what a pain) and cutting it in half on my
lathe, I discover what you see in the photo.  The actual contacts in that
"BIG SWITCH"  are no bigger than the head of a pin!!!

This switch is the "standard" 125amp switch you see everywhere in auto
shops.  How 125amps @12V can pass through that tiny spot on the contacts is
very surprising to me!  My guess it's can't!

That rectangle blade is what rotates 90 degrees to make contact with the two
tops of the bolts inside the switch.

I have replaced the switch with one that has a higher rating (300amps
continuous, and 500amps momentary).  Looks a lot like Summit's #830054.

Let's just say you were trying to start the engine and it just won't start
and you keep cranking on it , just how hot do you think those measly small
contact points would get?   Next to your gas tank of course.  Just saying!

Jerry Christopherson

9473187

TAC insp. #58