[Tigers] Electrical short during start attempt

Graham Harlowe gharlowe at comcast.net
Fri Jul 20 14:57:02 MDT 2018

After gassing up this morning I went to restart the car.  When I turned the
key, I got VERY slow and reluctant turnover (not enough to catch) and heavy
draw on the voltmeter.  Turned the key again for another attempt I got the
same thing and noticed a wisp of smoke from under the hood.  When I popped
the hood, I noticed a burned/melted section of the wire harness in the
vicinity of the alternator.  Dang.  Once home (tow truck), it appears a
couple of ground wires had borne the burden of a short.  One of the scorched
ground wires runs down the loom along with the temp sending unit wire and
(on my car) attaches to a mount for the coil on the intake manifold.  The
other fried ground wire attaches to the base of the ballast resistor.  I
have a one-wire GM alternator, not the stock generator.

I have the a wiring schematic, but a diagram of the harness and what these
two wires (or perhaps one wire with two connections?) are supposed to serve
as the ground for would be helpful.  I could splice in some new black wires,
but that seems pointless without understanding what caused the short in the
first place.  Any ideas where/how to look?

Thanks much,

Graham Harlowe
B382001466

---