[Tigers] My Tiger and I are in an Epic Struggle...

Larry Mayfield drmayf at mayfco.com
Fri Sep 29 06:11:08 MDT 2017

Dave, thanks for the info.  I did fix my issue. When I took the carb off (again, lol) I removed the float bowl and took a hard look at it. The float would rise all the way to the top of the bowl without ever touching the needle! After staring at it for about 3 seconds, I figures it out.  Float arm had magically been bent. I say magically because I do not remember ever bending it. So I gently coaxed it back into position where the basic Holley dimension was met just as the arm contacted the needle. All perfect now. Except that main jet size is too big, but, new ones here tomorrow.  I used to be around sea level but now live at nearly 3K feet altitude now. Down 2 sizes on the jets as starting place. Have a set of jets one size smaller than that also.  When I put the bowl back together and after initial adjustment, put my mouth on the fuel inlet and with the thing upside down, gave it a mighty blast of lung power and could not blow through the system. Works! Then I put it all back on the car and hooked up the fuel line and powered the pump. What a nice sound…. Pump starts off pumping hard to fill the bowl then as it gets close to being full it starts to quieten down and finally when it cuts off, it is almost completely silent.  Today the jets will arrive in the posting to  my mail box here at home.  A quick screw in and back on the car ready to be tested. Just as soon as oil filter hoses arrive, lol.

Of course, my kitty and its association with gremlins in the shop has set up more issues, lol. Noticed a pretty fair size puddle of engine oil under the front of the car. What now? I ask the car.  I am actually glad that it did leak  here in the shop because the oil filter hoses were shot. Both of them.  I removed one of them, the short one and it has some big gouges on it. From what I have no clue.  And the long hose has cracks near the block adapter hose compression sleeve. Weepy and wet.  Had I gone for a drive, I might have lost the motor.  And this is the OEM motor, box stock, never opened up.  Hose are coming from Sean Johnson up in Washington State but have to be fabricated. OEM quality but better.  I will use the waiting time to install new steering rack booties.  Watched a video on You Tube on how to replace neoprene boots on a rack without removing the tire rod end from the tie rod.  Very cool. If it works for me, lol.  If it does, I will post so that everybody knows the secret.  I know a lot of people have responded on what to do about the hose issue and the use of various block adapters etc. And I really do hate the fact that new hoses use the inverted flare fittings. They work great until you need to replace something and then they really tie you down.  I have a set of original Jerry Bellanger headers, if I spelled his name correctly, from the 60’s on the car as well as the Tiger aluminum oil pan which is a 7 qt piece and the two of those items make for near impossible removal of the block adapter for the filter hoses.  The PEM block adapter would be absolutely perfect if it had regular pipe fittings for use rather than the inverted flare fittings.  I think I am going to doodle up a new aluminum one and see if I can make a prototype piece that uses 3/8 inch pipe threads for connections and then the mechanic can use whatever works best.  I would use steel AN fittings myself with some of the new hose materials available.

In any case, many thanks to everybody who replied to my pleas for ideas and assistance. This list is great! Will keep list apprised of progress.

Mayf

drmayf
Worlds Fastest Sunbeam, period.
204.913 mph flying mile average speed