[Tigers] Tiger won't idle after a bout of hard acceleration

Andy Walker awtiger at cox.net
Mon Sep 4 16:27:19 MDT 2017

Rick:

Two words…”vacuum leak.”

Background…I had this very problem before on my old Tiger (B9470058) back in 1982.  I was running the open track event at the Mid-America Shelby Meet in Tulsa, OK, and having a great time.  All of a sudden, I came into the pits after a session and the car wouldn’t idle at all; it would die once you let off the throttle.  We jumped on the problem immediately, even rebuilding the Holley at the track, but to no avail.  I ended up towing the car home, fearing that I’d really done something terrible to it.

Once I got it home and started looking closely at it, I discovered that the brake booster vacuum line had slipped off the nipple on the intake.  Yep…a direct, rather large vacuum leak.  Plugged the line back onto the fitting and, voila…the car idled just fine.

Moral of the story...check all your vacuum connections before getting into anything else.  I’d be willing to bet that a vacuum leak will be your culprit.

Best of luck and keep us posted,

Andy Walker

Edmond, OK