[Tigers] Shelby as Sunbeam Tiger manufacturer?

Ron Fraser rfraser at bluefrog.com
Sun Jun 12 21:21:44 MDT 2016

Tom

                You raise some interesting points.

Yes, British pride at Rootes and the British auto union was probably a major factor.

We all have a tendency to refer to Shelby and Shelby American as being the same; that in itself can become confusing; we need to be more specific with our words.

We lose track of the backstory or the truth that George and a few others were the people responsible for making the Shelby Tiger Prototype.  It is very difficult today to say how involved Shelby was with the project.   His main concern at the time was the Cobra, Cobra racing and good PR.

Your question about sending rolling chassis to the USA is a good one.   My guess is Shelby would have tried to support that since he was doing that with the Cobra but I think Rootes was looking for more production capabilities with sooner delivery of production cars for sale.   Packaging and shipping a rolling chassis would be more expensive than shipping engine assemblies.

Ron Fraser