[Tigers] Motor Oil

Tom Witt atwittsend at verizon.net
Sat Nov 14 18:08:10 MST 2015

>From what I’ve read flat tappet cams aren’t really flat and neither are the lifters. The cam is ground with a slight angle on its surface and the lifter is slightly convex. Both enhance the spinning of the lifter on the cam. Many (I know I use to) likely assume the lifter stays relatively stationary and “slides” on the cam based on the normal description.  One product that I’ve heard about is GM EOS (engine oil supplement). This is the link (Summit) and the write up. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-88862586  “ Protect your engine with a bottle of proven Chevrolet Performance E.O.S. additive to keep your engine running smoothly and efficiently. This Engine Oil Supplement is recommended to be installed before firing a new engine equipped with a Chevrolet Performance camshaft.  I used this when I broke in a new cam. In addition to the 2,000-2,500 RPM break in process I set the idle at about 1,000 RPM for the first 1,000 miles.

As far as the diesel oils go (Rotella etc.) I’ve heard that they too have reduced ZDDP also now that those vehicle are running some form of CATs. Maybe oil should be labeled like food so we know specifically what is in it. What I find interesting is I’ve never seen an additive bottle that stated not to use it in a modern (CAT) car.  Yet they are requiring it removed from oil to protect the CAT??? Hummm... .   The oil additive debate seems to follow the same course like the need for supplement vitamins.