[Tigers] Facet Fuel Pump Questions

Stu sabre2tgr at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 13:52:47 MDT 2015

I finished the installation of a new Facet fuel pump last November, in the
trunk, then put the car away for the winter. After a lovely winter here
near Boston, I just got it out a couple weeks ago. I had pushed it out of
the garage so that I could put the snow blower away, then went to start it.
When it got power, the pump made the same rattling noise I'd complained
about last year, for a couple seconds, then got really quiet. It was still
ticking, but much quieter than before. The car started, but only ran a few
seconds. It started again, but promptly quit again. After a few tries, it
appeared that the pump was pumping a little, but not enough to keep up with
even idle requirements.

I was away last weekend, so I finally got back to it today. First I checked
the voltage on the input leads, which was OK, but during the voltage check,
the pump suddenly got noisy again. The car started and idled fine, until
the temperature was up. Back to normal.

Trying to listen to the pump over the exhaust note. I think I detected that
the rattling noise frequency stayed the same, but the harshness of the
noise seemed to be changing up and down, perhaps as the float valve in the
carb opened and closed?

Have any of you with Facets noticed this variation in sound?

Stu