[Tigers] Dad's Clutch and Servo

Gary Winblad garywinblad at comcast.net
Tue Jul 24 20:53:57 MDT 2012

Jay,
I forgot the original problem...
If it is "sticking" brakes, suspect the vacuum piston from "dragging" due to lack
of lubrication or mis-alignment (The vacuum canister mounts to the cylinder are
sloppy to allow alignment)
If it is "lack of assist", I might have had the same problem years ago.  It was my
original yellow stripe vacuum hose to the servo.  It collapsed when really hot.  My
brakes would work normally all the time except when I went up in the hills and
beat on it..  The extra heat in the engine compartment softened the old hose and
it collapsed.  Had the problem for years, I thought it was brake fade and blamed
the supposedly marginal Tiger brakes... NO, it was just that old hose.

If there is no leak, you can run without assist by just removing (and plugging) the
vacuum hose.  This is standard procedure when you notice that you keep losing
your fluid but you can not find any external leaks..  When the servo seal fails, brake
fluid gets sucked into the vacuum canister until it all of a sudden gets worse or it
gets too full and you will hit the brakes and there is a ton of white smoke coming
out the tailpipe.  That is when I normally disconnect and plug the vacuum hose
and drive it that way until I can get it home and rebuild it.
If you see leaks coming out of the servo or you get home but can't find a rebuild
kit or something, that is when you take it out and bypass it.  CAT club used to sell
a nice SS bypass hose (I carry one in the console just in case).  Some owners
run without a servo.  I find it makes the brakes REALLY bad, way too much effort
needed for safety.  This was the same effort/feel as when my vacuum hose closed
itself off..
Oh, I just noticed you said "grabbing".  Normally, I find that is brake fluid contaminating
the shoes or pads due to a leak.  Yeah, running it more could clean/burn it off and
eliminate grabbing...  for a while...
Gary