[Tigers] Story about my and my dad's Tiger

Jay Laifman jay.laifman at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 19:24:58 MDT 2012

Ok, so I guess I can admit this now.

About 5 years or so ago, dad wasn't driving the TIger much.  He wanted me to
change the oil.  So, I offered to leave my Alpine at his place and take the
Tiger for a couple weeks to "get the car's fluids flowing."  Before this, I
really hadn't spent much time in any Tiger.

So, I change the oil and start driving.  I found how much I really loved the
car, and in the process, I surprisingly found all sorts of little things that
needed some attention  ;-)  stretching those 2 weeks to 5 months before I
returned the car!

Near my house there is a right hand corner that is wide open visually.  When
it was clear, I would take it with full gusto in my Alpine (which is no
slouch, with high flow Holbay head, Holbay cam and dual side draft DCOE Webers
- more hp/lb than a stock 260 Tiger (though who has a stock Tiger anymore?!)).
On this particular corner, I'd go wide, hit the apex, and floor it.  Just a
wonderful time.  So, I'm driving dad's Tiger for a while now.  Kind of "used
to it" with the same seat, same dash, same overall view as my Alpine.  I
really wasn't thinking about it.  I came up to my corner, and went into
automatic pilot.  Went wide, hit the apex, and then floored it.
YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Full Tiger torque comes on, rear end goes sideways,
and not only are the Tiger's fluids flowing!!!!  First thing that comes to
mind "oh sh*t, I'm going to have to call my dad and tell him I wrapped his car
around a tree!!!!"

Fortunately, I was able to bring it back under control and nothing happened to
the Tiger - other than me liking it that much more.

Thanks for the ride dad!