[Tigers] Fuel Pressure Too Low?

James Lindner jliny5 at cox.net
Mon Jul 23 19:35:18 MDT 2012

Hi Listers,

Recently, I have been experiencing some engine stumbling/hesitation after I
have driven for 30-40 minutes. It felt as if the engine was starved for fuel.
I checked the accelerator pump and power valve, ruled them out and then
figured it might be the fuel pump.

I installed a mechanical (not the liquid filled type) in-line fuel pressure
gauge just before the carburetor. The fuel pressure read about 2.3 with the
ignition in the on position. It remained at that number once I started the
engine and at 1500 rpms. I took a drive and the stumbling started and I had to
stop to let everything rest. At that point the pressure gauge was reading
zero. After resting an hour I barely made it home and the pressure was still
about zero. Now convinced it was a fuel pump problem I changed out the fuel
pump. I installed a NEW stock fuel pump from Sunbeam Specialties in the
factory location. I also correctly vented the vent tube into the trunk
compartment. Previously, I shielded the muffler with heat wrap. I also
inspected the old pump and found no evidence of foreign debris.

Once I installed the NEW pump, I checked the pressure. With the ignition ON
the pump sounded strong and the pressure again read 2.3. I got the same
reading at idle and 1500 rpmsb&all which seemed low. I did the following none
of which changed the readings.

B7        Opened the filler cap to make sure it was not a venting problem

B7        Jumped the fuel pump power tab directly to the battery

B7        Grounded the fuel pump directly to the negative terminal on the
battery

B7        Switched out fuel gauges just to be sure it was not a faulty gauge

Yesterday I took it for a test drive. Fuel pressure was 2.3 upon starting the
car. Car ran great for 30-40 minutesb&then it started to stumble badly at
speed and nearly stalling when starting from a stop. I headed home and checked
the fuel pressure as soon as I arrived. It continued to read 2.0-2.3 (needle
bounces around a bit.)

I am getting ready to move back to the carb (itbs an older Holley 1848 that
has been rebuilt once) as the source of the problem since the fuel pressure is
being maintained, but I still have a nagging feeling that the fuel pressure is
too low.

I intend to check pressure one more time using a combo vacuum/fuel pressure
gauge tapped in where the current gauge is located. In the meantimeb&My
question isb&

Is the fuel pressure too low? If so, why would a brand new pump have such low
pressure? I am interested in what others with stock fuel pumps might have for
pressure and any other thoughts.

I know an after market pump mounted in the MkII location in the trunk is an
option but for now intend to keep things stock.

Thanks, Jim