[Tigers] Air cleaner & horsepower

michael@michaelshortt.com michaelsavga at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 12:13:15 MDT 2012

Just a quick note and this email reminded me of it, it goes back to my
sportscar racing days.

Let's say that you have a 3,000 lb car making 300 hp.

That's 10 hp per pound.

For every 10 lbs that you can remove, it's like gaining 10 FREE
Horsepower ( Ok, not exactly, it declines over each reduction )
, this is why Colin Chapman was so successful, lighter cars.

When you are racing, hp is expensive after a certain point.

so gaining 5 horsepower is roughly equitable to removing 50 lbs.

Ever wonder why F1 drivers are jockey sized?

50 lbs of Carbon Fiber is very expensive.

So, if any air cleaner assembly can give you free horsepower, I'd make
the switch, it about as cheaply as you can

increase it.

and on some cars, esp like a 1970 Mustang, a $40.00 round K & N filter
will add several horsepower and remove 10lbs at the same time.

Michael Shortt