[Tigers] Air Cleaner HP loss

Ronak, T.P. (Timothy) Timothy.Ronak at akzonobel.com
Thu Jul 5 11:01:16 MDT 2012

Listers,
I have not really been chiming in much but Theo makes a great point regarding
the restrictive clearance to the top of the Choke housing to the underside of
the aircleaner top. I resolved this pretty well on my old tiger with a custom
made base to increase the overall height of the air filter I could use and As
I recall ran a 2 < (one quarter) tall and 14" inch diameter K&N unit. The 14"
diameter one squeezes into the aircleaner just barely. With the modified Base
I manufactured the entire assembly fit under the hood nicely. I also ran a
carb with the choke horn milled off. Dyno results at the last Tiger Dyno day
we had in So Cal a few years ago showed only a 2 HP loss from peak 381 Hp and
405+ lb ft at the wheels without any airfilter. It surprised me as I thought
the filter would be more restrictive. We tried some other devices like an
airfoil device that mounted under the lid to help turn the air and it made no
difference either. Of course I did not try jetting to optimize either
environment as we had limited time and runs for each Tiger.

I still have an electronic copy of the article I did for Tigers untied and the
Cat club if you want a pdf. Send me an email Or go to
www.tigersunited.com<http://www.tigersunited.com> and search out the Ram Air
kit article.

Best Regards,
Tim Ronak
Senior Services Consultant
AkzoNobel Automotive and Aerospace Coatings NA
23961 Via El Rocio
Mission Viejo,  CA  92691
Ph: (949) 289-3357
Fx: (425) 955-6268
EM: timothy.ronak at akzonobel.com<mailto:timothy.ronak at akzonobel.com>
Personal EM: timronak at cox.net<mailto:timronak at cox.net>

Information contained in this email is confidential. If you received this
email in error please delete this message and inform the sender.