[Tigers] Air cleaner & horsepower

michael@michaelshortt.com michaelsavga at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 10:17:07 MDT 2012

Theo,

I'm not an engineer, just a guy that has been playing with cars, race
cars, motorcycles, boats and airplanes for 35 years.

An internal combustion engine is nothing more than an air pump, it
sucks air, as much as it can, therefore, I do not get the "can't turn
a corner" comment.

Air is about the most fluid thing there is, it even goes backwards on
a 200 mph race car going forwards because of poor aero design.

Have you seen the air flow models for an F1 car, air can be made to do
about anything you want it to do.

Air filters are judged by 1) surface area and 2) restriction quality.

My suggestion more than triples the effective surface area of any 2"
round air filter and by using a K&N type oil cloth element, the
restriction is also much less.

So please educate me, I open to learn.

Michael

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 12:01 PM, Smit, Theo <Theo.Smit at dynastream.com> wrote:
> That looks trick but how tall is the center part? If it's only two inches or
so, then you don't really gain any flow capability over the stock assembly.
The main problem with a four-barrel and medium to high rise manifold is that
you can't get the air to turn the corner and get into the carb, especially if
the carb has a choke tower.

> Theo

sole use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient,
please be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this
e-mail or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please contact the sender and delete all copies.

--

Michael L. Shortt
Savannah, Georgia
michael at michaelshortt.com