[Tigers] Air cleaner & horsepower

genepadgett at comcast.net genepadgett at comcast.net
Tue Jul 3 15:50:01 MDT 2012

I don't have the article you are recalling, but I did a lot of research into this topic myself a couple of years ago.

The K&N website has some good info on how their elements flow air better than various other materials. In terms of shear surface area the stock filter is woefully undersized. As I remember, even going to the K&N 2 inch filter was not enough for a motor with any sort of upper RPM power. I did all the computations about a motor being an air pump, volume of air moved at various rpm, volumetric efficiency, etc. Bottom line even the 2 inch K&N filter started choking off the amount of air flow needed at about 4000 rpm with a 260 motor So any operation above that threshold you would not be getting enough air into the motor for optimal performance. Bigger motor, bigger problem. Does it equate to 30 HP? I have no idea, only a dyno could tell. And the dyno run should be with the hood closed, if that can be done.

Just my 2 cents.

Gene