[Spridgets] Roller Bearings

David Doiron ddoiron at cox.net
Tue Oct 26 20:09:27 MDT 2021

Well Folks,
I have been caught with my hair trigger showing.
I fired a shot across the bow too soon!
I failed to notice that the Moss kit uses a spacer.

That makes all the difference.
Moss sourced bearings are purpose fitted, and should be used with the spacer.
American cars didn't use spacers so mechanics who were familiar with that
arrangement would be tempted to leave them out.

Back when I did it, the only source was a generic bearing supply, and
THOSE bearings were not compatible with the spacer. (which I luckily kept!)

And yes, I did the conversion when the MkII came out, so my stub axles were the
early version. Ergo the metallurgy was not as strong as the later stub axles.
BUT
Since used items are a common source of stub axles these days, you might
be looking at early versions. It would be safer to use the later part #s.
(If anybody wants those numbers ask me).

I have never seen an aluminum spacer. All the factory spacers I've seen
were dimensionally stable cast iron.

Regarding the statement that the threads would strip before the nut was
tight enough to add strength to the stub axle, I say show me the math.
Every stress diagram I can imagine indicates that the spacer adds strength.

W David Doiron...ex BMC mechanic