[Spridgets] [External] Roller bearings...again

David Lieb 72spridget at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 07:23:16 MDT 2021

And for the record, the torque necessary to effectively strengthen the stub
axle with the spacer would strip the threads. To say nothing of the fact
that the spacer itself is just a piece of cast aluminum. I used Timken
roller bearings in the front hubs of my 1972 Midget with no spacers and ran
MANY autocrosses and tens of thousands of highway miles and Chicagoland
potholes with NO problems whatsoever. Including autocrosses with Yokohama
A08 race tires that were so grippy that I was doing lefthand skidpads on
two wheels! All that stress and not a single broken stub. Perhaps by 1972
the stub axles were as much stronger as the half-shafts in the rear were?
Perhaps we should be using 1500 stub axles for replacements?
David Lieb