[Spridgets] Kent's Bugeye restoration

Kent McLean kentmclean at comcast.net
Mon Jun 21 08:00:32 MDT 2021

Compression Test:
I did a compression test. The starter pull knob wouldn't pull, so I pulled it at the solenoid. The engine turned over slower than I expected without plugs, but I got readings.  Dry: 1-4 - 45, 60, 40, 40. Ugh. Wet: 125, 125, 75, 75. I may have squirted too much oil in the first two, but no matter. I see a rebuild in my future. Or maybe an upgrade to a 1275cc. Now that I know the condition of the engine at 83,238 miles, it is time.

On a related note, my 3 sons (in their 30s) paid me a visit yesterday. They wanted to see the Bugeye. The oldest, the smart one (or maybe the smart-aleck one), commented that if I sold the big Healey, the Bugeye, the Wrangler, and the motorcycles, I could afford to good Bugeye and be driving it this summer. There's truth to that, but the Wrangler is my snowplow, I _need_ at least one motorcycle, but for a brief moment I thought, Yeah, I could get a runner out of the rest of them. But where's the fun in that?