[Spridgets] Repairing Fuel Tank Update

Bruce Hamper brucehamper at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 20:09:21 MDT 2021

Thanks for all the responses to the fuel tank posting!  It's nice to see
all the familiar names and get a collective set of ideas.  I didn't go the
BBQ route. Instead, I bought nifty pliers with two pivot points to
extend the reach.  These are a great addition to my tools - Crescent 2x
pliers.  With these 12 inch pliers, I was able to grab and remove the
filter in the tank.  A cleaning with solvent was all I needed to get the
tank looking nice on the inside.
I also replaced the sending unit with a brass float.  The plastic float was
full of gas.  No wonder the tank always reads empty.
Now I have a clean tank, two in-line filters (one before the pump and one
before the carbs) and a reliable Facet pump.  Just went out for the first
drive of 2021.
As a backstory, I drove my '69 blue Sprite to Sprite 50 (2008 Lake of the
Ozarks, MO) and Spridget 50 (2011-Elkhart Lake).  Those events inspired me
to find a Bugeye Sprite.  Glad to say it is finally running!
Bruce
'59 Bugeye in St. Louis