[Spridgets] Repairing old fuel tank

GUY DAY grday at btinternet.com
Mon Jun 7 03:11:47 MDT 2021

One of my early car 'tutors' worked at Rolls Royce as an apprentice and
had a flat mate who died following an explosion whilst repair welding a
fuel tank that was brim filled with water.  Not a course of action he or
I chose to follow.

A course I went on run by what was ICI (now AstraZeneca) had a metal
model petrol tanker with a hole around 1inch square cut out of the side.
It had a splash of petrol poured in, swirled round and then drained out.
A lit taper was placed in the hole, the toy blew off the table onto the
floor.  This was repeated around five times with sufficient explosive
force to blow the tanker onto the floor (without a fuel refil!).  It
'popped' a further twice.  Never ignore the ability of petrol fumes to
seep into old metal and blow.

I have also heard of using gravel or small nuts & bolts swirled round in
a tank part filled with water but that means getting the old tank out of
the car and hiring a gorilla to do the swirling.  Whilst out, you clean
it up, (the tank, not the gorilla) realize the the bottom is paper thin
so you coat it with fibre glass resin and make an awful mess.  The
reality is that it is the top of the tank that rusts through because of
internal condensation over the years.  But you now have doubts firmly
implanted in your mind that the tank will fail at any time in the near
future and ensure you look under the back of the car every time you go
near and find the spots of oil from the pumpkin and then those from the
rear of the gearbox.  For those reasons above this wasn't mentioned in
my first post but you thought it was just a hiccup in the fuel tank..

If you are going to get a NEW tank with no drain hole why not take it to
your local machine shop and have a large brass nut and bolt braised in
at the low point.   Don't forget it needs doing before use!   If you are
cutting a drainer from your old tank just remember the toy tanker and
that your grinder produces an awful lot of sparks....

Stay well

Guy R Day