[Spridgets] Trying to diagnose an idle/stalling issue

crusaderchuck55 at aol.com crusaderchuck55 at aol.com
Sat Dec 26 16:39:16 MST 2020

Sounds like you are hunting for a vacume leak.    From your description it does not act like an electrical issue.   BUT!  BEFORE you mess with too much of you are still running points check 2 things!!   Be certain your points are clean ( they grow some kind of crud) and you have a proper gap.  If that's all good OR you have electronic ignition I suspect you are hitting a temporary lean on fuel situation mostly due to some kind of vacume leak.  Look for a vacume line to the distributor literally cracked.  Or there is an old stand by vacume leak check....  Use some choke spray with the car running and spray around the intake manifold to head gasket or the carb spacers gaskets.   If you get a pick up in RPM'S you just sprayed the "leak" area.A simple check is to be certain the intake to head nuts are tight and snug the 4 nuts retaining the carbs on the intake manifold.   Share your findings once you had some tinker time.ChuckSent from my LG Mobile------ Original message------From: Kurtis J. via SpridgetsDate: Sat, Dec 26, 2020 5:36 PMTo: Spridgets (E-mail);Cc: Subject:[Spridgets] Trying to diagnose an idle/stalling issueGreetings everyone.  I was semi-active on this list several (like 10) years ago.  I have a 1959 Bugeye with a 1275 engine that had up until last month been sitting dormant in my basement garage.  I have the car back on the road and running fairly well, but I am dealing with an idle issue.The card starts fine and will idle fine after it warms up; however, when coming to a stop, the idle drops to a point where the engine will stall if I don't give it a little gas.  After it catches back up, the car will go back to idling fine.  Right now I have the idle set at about 1,000 rpms.The plugs on the car look good, so I think the mixture is fine.  I have played with the timing a little as well.  Any suggestions as to where else to look?Thanks,-- Kurt JonesConway, Arkansas1963 TR4 - CT19389L1959 AH Bugeye - AN5L23250