[Spridgets] Towing A Bugeye

Bob Spruck raspruck at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 13:05:32 MDT 2019

If you tow with the rear wheels on the ground, everything from the tires
to the clutch will be turning. I recommend you at least disconnect the
drive shaft at the diff flange so only the rear end rotates. Don't
forget to tie it up so it doesn't slip out of the transmission. Make
sure you have enough oil in the diff to lubricate the rear hub bearings.

Also, in my  experience, if you elevate the front of the car (as on the
dolly) you stand a good chance of the trans fluid running out the back,
depending on how good the rear seal and splined connection are.

Flat towing solves that problem but you still have to consider all the
rotating parts. I flat towed my Bugeye autocross car for many miles back
in the 60s and 70s behind my Barracuda 340 Formula S without any problems.

Bob